We recommend you complete the tasks in this guide regularly throughout the tax year.
Check you're using the latest version
You should check you're using the most up to date version of Sage Payroll. Read more >
Check your company information
You should check that your company's name, employer registration number, postal address and contact details correct and up to date before you close the tax year. Read more >
Check your employee details are correct
Every employee record should have a valid Personal Public Service (PPS) number entered. If you don’t have a PPS number for an employee, you must enter their date of birth and home address. Read more >
You should also do the following if applicable:
- For directors - Specify if they are a proprietary or non-proprietary director. Find out how >
- For new starters this year - Check a start date is specified within the employee record.
- For leavers - Check the finish date and period is specified within Employee Details.
- If the employee has a PAYE exclusion order, enter the exclusion details in their record.
- If the employee is exempt from PRSI, specify this within their record. Find out how >
- If the employee is on a shadow payroll, indicate this within their record. Find out how >
If you have more than one record for an employee, this can cause incorrect tax, universal social charge (USC) or social insurance (PRSI) calculations. This could mean your returns to Revenue are incorrect. To resolve this, you must merge duplicate employee records.
Check your pensions are set up correctly
If you have any pension deductions on your payroll, you must check they have a pension link assigned to them. Read more >
Review the Earnings Tax & PRSI (ETP) for each of your employees
We recommend that you print the Earnings Tax & PRSI (ETP) report for each of your employees to check their values are correct.
If you need help or assistance, please contact the Sage technical support or your Sage-accredited business partner.