This article covers some common troubleshooting steps to:
- Help you connect your bank feed
- Help when transactions are not importing from your bank feed as expected
Problems finding a bank feed for your bank
If a bank feed is not available for your account, we recommend checking again soon, as new feeds are added regularly.
In the meantime you can either:
Import transactions from your bank statement.
Enter transactions manually
Problems connecting a bank feed
Here are some troubleshooting tips if you're having problems connecting to your bank.
If you're having problems connecting a bank feed, try to:
- Log in to your bank account to confirm you can access your account with no issues. Make a note of the user name and password as you need these to set up the bank feed.
- Make sure you accept any changes to terms and conditions, and read any outstanding messages. These can sometimes prevent us connecting to your account.
- Check your bank account is set up for third party connections.
Try the connection again:
- Go back to Accounting and connect your bank again.
- Make sure you choose the bank feed that matches your account type.
- Make sure you enter the same credentials when you try to connect your bank feed.
NOTE: Some banks may give the option to select multiple accounts when you are setting up your bank feed, this is not supported in Sage Accounting. You must make sure only one bank account is selected.
Check your browser allows cookies.
Before connecting a bank feed we recommend checking that the browser you're using on your computer, laptop, tablet or phone is set up to allow cookies from other websites.
Instructions for allowing cookies vary according to the internet browser software you're using. More details can be found on the following links:
- Safari (on an Apple Mac)
- Safari (on an Apple iPhone, or iPad)
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
The following errors or behaviour may be experienced if your device is not set up to allow cookies:
|What you might see
|When or where you might see it
|Error - We are having technical difficulties, please try again
|Any time when connecting a bank feed
|When you enter the name of your bank or credit card company in the search box a drop-down list of available bank feeds does not appear when you start typing
|When searching for bank accounts on the Connect your bank screen
When connecting to bank accounts
Check in a different browser
If you can't connect in your current browser, try using one of the following instead:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Edge
Check popups, browser extensions and antivirus.
If you are still unable to connect your bank you could try the following:
- Enable popups for all sites within your web browser settings
- Disable any browser extensions
- Disable any web antivirus
You can change these settings back to how they were after you have successfully connected.
Try using a different device to access Sage Accounting to connect your bank feed.
Only the account holder can authorise a bank feed, as online banking login details must be entered.
It's not possible for accountants to set up a bank feed connection for clients as the feed must be authorised using secure login details.
Problems with a bank feed you've already connected
Here are some troubleshooting steps when transactions are missing from your bank feed or have been duplicated.
We check bank feeds for new transactions regularly throughout the day and we rely on your bank to send us new transactions.
There may times when transactions are showing in your bank account but have not yet been imported into Sage Accounting.
- Most banks send us transaction once a day, for the previous day
For direct bank feeds, we receive transactions on the following schedule:
Every day, for the previous day
Royal Bank of Scotland
Monday to Saturday, for the previous day
Bank of Scotland,
Tuesday to Saturday, for the previous day
If you have transactions in your bank account that have not been imported, we recommend that you:
- Check your bank feed is working properly. We update the Bank feed status page on the Sage website with known problems
Check to see if your bank feed needs to be re-authenticated. For security reasons you must re-authorise with your bank every 90 days. When this happens, we display a message at the top of the page. Choose Enter Credentials to re-authorise the bank feed. Read more about reuthenticating your bank.
In some cases you may discover that your bank feed has imported duplicate transactions. This may be because your bank has made an error in providing transactions to us, or something has gone wrong with the bank feed.
Where we have identified an issue with a particular bank feed, we will update the bank feeds status page. This will tell you if there is a reported incident.
How you delete these depends on when you notice the duplicate transactions. If you have:
- Only imported from your bank feed - discard the duplicated transactions from the bank feed
- Created the duplicate transactions in Sage Accounting - delete any transactions from the bank account (Activity tab). Where possible, we recommend that you delete transactions before reconciling your bank account
- Reconciled your bank account - delete the transactions from your bank activity in the same way. We update the starting balance of your next bank reconciliation to reflect the deleted transaction. Read more about how to delete bank transactions
- Included them on a submitted VAT return - create a reverse transaction to clear the value from the bank account. Read Correct transactions included on a VAT return
In some cases, you may discover a difference from the Balance to the Bank Balance. The Balance is what is input into Sage. The Bank Balance is what's updated from your bank feed connection.
This may occur if there are mssing or dupolicated transactions in your bank account, or you've not processed all of your transactions in your bank feed. To resolve this, you'll need to process all of your transactions in the bank feed. If you still get a difference, then you'll need to check your transactions to see if you've either duplicated or missed out transactions. If you've duplicated transactions, you can delete these. If you've missed out transactions, you'll need to manually enter these.
Still having problems?
If you are still having trouble with your bank feeds you can escalate your issue to our customer support team.
Use our bank feed escalation form here.