This explains how to create your VAT return, check the return is correct, and mark it as submitted to Revenue.
Once you mark the VAT Return as submitted, you cannot make any changes. If you need to make adjustments, you must do this on the next VAT Return.
Create your VAT return
NOTE: Before you start, make sure you delete or mark as submitted, any draft VAT returns.
- Go to Reporting, then select VAT Returns.
- Select Create VAT Return.
- Check the From and To dates are correct. Edit if required.
- Select Calculate.
- Choose whether to include transactions from an earlier period that weren't included in a previous VAT return. To check these transactions, select View Previous Transactions.
Choose whether to include them on your VAT Return:
Now - Include them on this return
Later - Ask me again when I run my next return
Never - Exclude them from all future returns. Choose this if you've already submitted the transactions to Revenue
- Select one of the following options:
- Submit to Revenue by other means – If your values are correct and you’re ready to submit your return to Revenue, select this option. For more information about how to submit your return, please visit www.ros.ie
- Save this return and submit it later – If you don’t want to complete the VAT Return yet select this option. For example, you may want to check your values are correct. You can then return to the saved return later to complete it
You’ve successfully created your VAT Return. You can view the status of the return from the VAT Return list.
Once you’re ready to do so, you can record VAT payments or refunds from Revenue as appropriate.
CAUTION: We advise speaking to your accountant before making any adjustments to a VAT return.
The figures in each box of the VAT Return calculate automatically. This calculates based on the:
- transactions entered in Sage Accounting
- VAT scheme you are using
- dates of the transactions
Once you include a transaction on a VAT return, you can only change the ledger account and reference. Read more about correcting transactions on a VAT return.
How to make adjustments
Enter the amount you want to change the value by and a reason for the change, then select Save.
Impact of adjustments
Adjusting the VAT on Sales or Purchases on the VAT return updates the following ledger accounts.
|2202 (VAT Liability)
|2202 (VAT Liability)
You can move the value posted to ledger 9999 to the required ledger account using a manual journal. You may need to take advice from your Accountant if you're unsure how to do this.
To check the transactions included in each box of the return, export the Detailed Report as either a PDF or CSV.
This shows a list of all the transactions that make up the total for each box on the VAT return.
- Select Detailed Report then choose the relevant option, PDF or CSV
- If you choose PDF, the report downloads automatically. When it’s ready you receive a notification on the menu bar. Select the report, which then opens in a new window or tab
- If you choose the CSV option, the file will save to your browser. Where it appears depends on which web browser you use
This allows you to create a copy of the VAT return to keep for your records. Choose from a PDF or CSV version.
From the Print drop-down, select PDF or CSV
If you're not yet ready to submit the VAT return, choose Save this return and submit it later.
This saves the VAT return as a Draft and displays on the VAT Return List. We still flag all the transactions to show they're included on a VAT Return. This prevents you from editing or deleting them.
Just delete the draft VAT return, to edit or delete these transactions.
You can only delete a draft VAT return. Once you mark a VAT return as submitted, you cannot delete it.
If you have made an error, reverse the original transaction and re-enter it. This then updates on you next VAT return. Read more about correcting transactions on a VAT return.
To delete your draft VAT Return:
- From Reporting, select VAT Returns
- In the VAT Returns list, find the VAT return with Draft in the Status column.
- Select the bin icon on the left of the row. When prompted, choose Yes to Are you sure you wish to delete this VAT Return.
If you haven’t submitted the VAT Return to Revenue, you can recalculate the values on the return. For example, because you had to check the values on the VAT return, so you saved it for later. Or you’ve entered additional transactions you need to include on the return.
- Go to Reporting, then click VAT Returns.
- Click the VAT Return you want to amend.
- If you’ve entered additional transactions or have changed the dates of the return, click Calculate.