What you need to know
- You must use separate CSV files for customers and suppliers. To import both customers and suppliers, you need 2 separate files.
- Each CSV file must use the correct headings and cell formats. We recommend that you download a copy of our template file and then paste the details of your customers or suppliers
- You must complete all the compulsory columns
- Every contact you import must a have Reference
- The maximum file size you can import is 0.5MB. If your file is larger, split it into another file
- When importing analysis types, make the analysis type already exists and is Active for the type of record you are importing. For example, an analysis type must be Active for customers before you can import customer records
Download the CSV template file
- From Contacts, select New Customer, then Import Customers. For suppliers, select New Supplier, then Import Suppliers.
- Select the hyperlink to download the template CSV file.
- Go to the downloads folder on your computer to find the file.
Prepare the CSV file
Choose one of the following ways to create your CSV file:
- Enter the information directly into the template file. Replace the sample data with your customer or supplier details.
- Update a CSV file you have already saved to match our template.
- Change the column headings in your file to match our template
- Make sure each cell contains information in the correct format. For example, some cells must only contain numbers, others only text and some have a maximum character limit
- Make sure all the compulsory columns contain information
Use the table below to check the format in your file is correct.
Remember that the header row in your CSV file must use the same headings as shown in the Column heading in the table.
|A||Reference||Text||Yes||Maximum 10 characters and must be unique to this record.|
Only required for contacts where the currency is different from your usual currency. If your business is based in the UK, only enter a code for customers or suppliers outside the UK.
Enter the 3 letter code for the currency. For example
|E||Main Address Type||Text||No||To use the default of Delivery, leave this blank. Alternatively, enter one of the following:|
|F||Main Address Line 1||Text||No|
|G||Main Address Line 2||Text||No|
|H||Main Address Town||Text||No|
|I||Main Address County||Text||No|
|J||Main Address Post Code||Text||No||Maximum 10 characters.|
|K||Main Address Country||Text||No|
Maximum 2 characters.
Use the 2 letter for your country. For example, GB for UK or IE for Ireland.
|L||Main Contact Name||Text||Yes||Enter the name of the contact at this company, alternatively to use the default of Main Contact, leave this blank.|
|M||Main Contact Phone||Number||No||Maximum 50 characters.|
|N||Main Contact Type||Text||No||To use the default of Accounts, leave this blank. Alternatively, enter one of the following:|
|O||Main Contact Mobile||Number||No||Maximum 50 characters.|
|P||Main Contact Email||Text||No||This must be a valid email address, for example, [email protected].|
|Q||Main Contact Fax||Number||No||Maximum 50 characters.|
|R||Address 2 Type||Text||No||To use the default of Delivery, leave this blank. Alternatively, enter one of the following:|
|S||Address 2 Line 1||Text||No|
|T||Address 2 Line 2||Text||No|
|U||Address 2 Town||Text||No|
|V||Address 2 County||Text||No|
|W||Address 2 Post Code||Text||No||Maximum 10 characters.|
|X||Address 2 Country||Text||No|
Maximum 2 characters.
Use the 2 letter for your country. For example, GB for UK or IE for Ireland. For
This must be a valid VAT number for the country of the contact.
For example, for the UK, this is 9 numbers.
To check the VAT numbers for other countries, use our article about VAT numbers.
This is the same as a Category in Start.
To use the default category, leave this blank.
|AA||Payment terms||Number||No||The number of credit days this contact has. To use the default payment terms, leave this blank.|
|AB||Notes||Text||No||Maximum 500 characters.|
|AC||Bank Account Name||Text||No|
|AD||Bank Account Sort Code||Number||No||This must be a valid sort code, for example, 11-22-33.|
|AE||Bank Account Number||Number||No||Maximum 25 characters.|
|AF||Bank Account IBAN||Number||No|
|AG||Bank Account BIC||Number||No||Maximum 11 characters.|
Leave blank to use the default method selected in the Statement settings.
To send by post, enter Post.
To send by email, enter Email.
To mark the customer as Active, leave this blank.
To mark the customer as Inactive, enter No.
Import the contacts file
- Go to Contacts, and then select New Customer, Import Customers or New Supplier, Import Suppliers.
- Select Choose File. Browse to your contacts CSV file and then click Open.
- In the CSV Format field, select Sage Instant Accounts if you’re importing from that application. If not, select Accounting.
- Click Upload. If any file issues are found during the process, you can read about how to fix them in the UK or Ireland and then try again.
- Click OK.