The process will vary depending on the type of transaction and it's status.
- Delete reconciled bank transfers or deposits. Instead reverse the bank transfer or deposit to clear the value from the bank account. Read how to reverse a bank transfer or cash deposit
- Delete payments and receipts with VAT included on a VAT return and submitted to HMRC. Instead create a reverse transaction to clear the value from the bank account. Read how to correct transactions included on a VAT return
How this works
When you delete a bank transaction, we remove the transaction from your bank account and update the bank balance.
We add a cleared check mark to all transactions imported from a bank feed or bank statement.
This tells you that the transaction in Sage Accounting Start is on your bank statement and reflected in your bank balance.
When you delete a cleared transaction, we show you a message to remind you to check your bank statement. This is because when you reconcile your bank account, the transaction may be different from what's on your bank statement.
When you delete a reconciled transaction
We show it on your bank reconciliation with a Removed from reconciliation status in the Corrected Transaction column, to tell you it's now deleted
We adjust the Starting Balance of your next bank reconciliation, by the amount of the deleted transaction
This is because the Starting Balance is always the total value of all reconciled transactions, up to the statement date
We do not update the Reconciled Balance
- The closing balance from your last statement was £200.
- You enter a payment for £100, and reconcile it. The reconciled balance is now £300.
- After finishing the bank reconciliation, you realise that you entered the payment twice.
- You go to the bank activity and delete the duplicate transaction. Your bank balance is now £200.
- When you check the finished reconciliation, the deleted £100 shows a Removed from reconciliation status in the Corrected Transaction column. The closing balance is £300.
- When you start your next bank reconciliation, the Starting Balance is £200 and matches your bank statement.
- You reconcile as usual.
Delete a bank transaction
- From Banking, select the relevant bank account.
- From the Activity tab, select the tick box to the left of the transactions you want to delete.
- A toolbar now appears above the list.
- From the toolbar, select the Delete icon.